Outlining the [highlight sc_id=”sc1383052597853″]cost of app development[/highlight] is a question that we frequently get asked . This blog looks at the different factors that influence the cost of building a mobile app .
It may seem obvious to say it but the app market has well and truly exploded over the last few years. At this years Apple WWDC, Apple gave some impressive figures on just how big the market now is. The Apple App store is now home to over 650,000 apps, that’s an increase of 425,000 on the previous year! More impressively, those apps have now accumulated a total of 30 billion downloads!
With Android, Blackberry and Windows all reporting almost as impressive figures it’s no surprise that more and more people and businesses are wanting a slice of the app pie, which leads to one of the most popular questions, how much does app development cost?
Having an app for your business or your event, can take it to the next level as it’s a game changing tool that can put you in the pocket of your customers 24/7, not to mention drive traffic and increase revenue. Whether you’re looking for an app which will replicate the success of something like Angry Birds, which is now valued at billions of dollars for a simple game, or putting out a simple free application for your business in order to reach out to your customers, getting a cost for it to be delivered will be of paramount importance.
So, how much does app development cost? The best answer is probably the most vague….’it depends!’. A good way to compare this question is by asking a couple more like, how much does it cost to buy a car or build a house…..’it depends!’. Like houses and cars, apps come in all different sizes, complexities and constraints.
The best way to get an accurate cost for developing your app is to give your chosen developer as much information as possible, give them a complete brief and include your expectations at this point, and if you have a budget then make it known to them so they know if what you’re trying to achieve is do-able for that figure.
Putting an average cost on developing an app is somewhat impractical given the variants, however recent research has shown that the average cost of an app is around the £6,500, this is based on a few types of applications:
– Basic/Off the Shelf – Simple solutions either using templates or a bespoke build with 3 or 4 screens of basic functionality.
– Bespoke App Builds – A complex solution using backend capability with web services and/or database structures.
– Enterprise App – More focused on business, built to display in house processes via a mobile solution or reach out to customers, often emulate the make up of a bespoke build in complexity and cost, but tend to exceed that in most cases.
Given that bespoke and enterprise builds often reach 5 and 6 figure sums, the average cost quoted above is somewhat un-realistic, so we have outlined a few other factors to help you decide on the right developer and budget.
How long will it take to develop?
This is as tricky as how much does app development cost? The reason is because of all the variables that each project contains. Simple off the shelf solutions can be built and deployed within 1 week, but the more complex bespoke and enterprise app builds can take several months. If speed is something of a key factor for you, then using a reputable app development company like us is advisable as we can deploy developers across multi-disciplines simultaneously, which is very difficult for an individual freelancer to do.
Whilst cost is a key factor when it comes to developing your app, there are also a few other things you should consider when it comes to choosing your app developer:
– Track record of the development company – what clients do they have on their books?
– Technical competence of the development team, this can usually be found through looking at the companies portfolio and observing the quality.
– Design skills – having a good UI is massively important, so make sure they have good in house designers who can deliver a best in class UI.
– The depth of knowledge of the subject matter – does the development company understand the industry and have vast experience across multiple software disciplines?
– Facetime – How keen is the development company to spend time with you. It is massively beneficial to sit down with them and brainstorm your requirements to see if there are any flaws in your design, and understand if any improvements can be made. They are the experts so should be able to advise better (and hopefully more cost effective) ways to deliver your app solution.
Any Other costs?
A good app development company should quote including costs for build and design services, along with consultation and support throughout the entire process. However, app development can throw up a few other costs, which you will need to consider:
– Developer Account – Most people will require their own developer account credentials, this is a cost of £60 a year for Apple and £25 a year for Google Play (Android). It’s a worthwhile expense as you can monitor download numbers and also receive any money made through the application if you chose to sell it or have in-app purchases.
– Profit Share – Not a lot of people are aware but Apple will take 30% of any sales made on the application via their app store
– Marketing – If you’ve developed something like a game, then achieving large downloads will be key so having a good marketing budget behind you is the best way to achieve that. This is less relevant for enterprise apps, but a small budget may be required if you’re looking to promote it to your customer base.
So working out how much app development costs isn’t as straightforward as you might think, but the good news is that we can help you work that out. Whether you have a small, medium, bespoke or enterprise solution that needs to be built, get in touch and we can help you put that all-important cost against it.