Butty Van Finder is the brain child of Robert Wharfe, founder of Butty Van who is a truck driver by day but entrepreneur at night. Robert spends many hours and travels many miles on the UK roads and was tired of pulling over at the same service stations and being forced to pay inflated prices for a sandwich or cup of tea.
Robert enjoyed the more welcoming atmosphere and not so inflated prices of a roadside cafe, but found it incredibly hard to find them, as they’re not advertised freely up and down the UK motorways. That’s when Robert had a eureka moment and put together the idea for Butty Van finder.
The app uses GPS location services to track the users current location, they are then able to search by a specified distance to see the closest ‘Butty van’ to them, it will even map a route to the van and guide you all the way there. This app isn’t just for HGV drivers, its for all drivers who want to experience a different road side stop and not pay inflated prices for a good ‘Butty’ and a cup of tea.
- Picks up users current location via GPS
- Search by distances from 10 to 200 miles, to find your nearest ‘Butty Van’
- The app will map a route from your current location to your selected van, and will even guide you there.
- Displays info about each van including opening times, eat in or takeaway options, whether the van has toilet facilities, basic menu items and any special instructions for HGV drivers.
- Search all van locations throughout the UK.
- Available for iPhone, iPad & Android
And for all you geeks, here’s the tech spec…
The app itself is written in native Objective-C for iOS and Java for the Android version. All data is driven from a custom made web CMS (www.buttyvanfinder.com) that the butty van administration team can create & modify new butty van locations & data. To serve the app a real time a JSON web service was created allowing third parties to also access the butty van database.